Permits & Applications
Visit the Town Municipal Code website to view the zoning code or Unified Development Code (UDC).
There are a number of projects and processes that require permits or approvals, including:
- Starting a new business
- New development
- Subdivision of land
- Modifying a building (commercial or residential)
- Putting up a fence
- Installing a sign
- Not sure where to begin? Visit our Frequently Asked Questions or, just give us a call at 919-553-5002
- Want to determine the construction utility fees should your proposal be approved? Please contact Clayton's engineering department for an estimate of these fees
- Need a fence, shed, or garage permit? It's all in our Accessory Structure Guide Sheet (PDF)
- Effective July 1, 2022, The Planning and Engineering Department have made several comprehensive updates to the development process. Click on the Updated Development Process document to review the latest changes and application review timelines.
Applications, Forms & Permits
All the applications and permits you need - at your finger tips! Many things that need to be done in our community need an application form or a permit. Contact a member of the Planning staff if you have questions regarding which application to submit.
Beginning July 1st the Town of Clayton Planning Department will accept all development applications on a rolling basis. Applications can be submitted Monday - Friday from 8:30am – 4:30pm in person in the Planning Department located on floor G2 of the Clayton Town Hall. Application checklists require both one (1) hardcopy of the completed application packet, and one (1) digital copy of the completed application packet, for the initial submittal ONLY. All other subsequent submittals can be submitted digitally only using the email address provided below. Hardcopies of the application packet can be dropped off or mailed to the Planning Department. Review fees are due at the time of submittal. Staff reviews will not start until both completed applications and all fees have been submitted.
Submitting Revisions for Projects in Review: Revisions can be submitted to Planning-EngineeringSubmittals@townofclaytonnc.org. Revisions MUST included a revised site plan AND written responses to EACH staff comment. Applicants should respond on the comment sheet provided by the Development Services Coordinator at the end of the review period to ensure that all comments are being addressed. Failure to respond to staff comments could potentially cause delays in final approval.
*New Combined Site/Subdivision & Construction Drawing Submittal Option* – In an effort to streamline processes, the Planning and Engineering Departments are now offering the option of a combined site plan (or major subdivision/preliminary plat)/CD review process. Site Plans, Construction Drawings, and Stormwater Management plans can now be reviewed concurrently. A new application for the combined site plan/construction drawing review has been created and can be found on the list of Planning Applications below. The Town will continue to offer the option for these plans to be submitted and reviewed separately at the applicant's request. For questions regarding the new combined process, please contact the Planning Department.
Updated Application Review Timelines - The Town of Clayton is growing! To accommodate this increase in workload, The Technical Review Committee staff have been allotted extended review times. Please refer to the updated Application Timeline Chart for a list of review times by application type.
Please note: We will not accept any documents unless they are in PDF format only. Please do not submit pictures of applications or site plans.
*Please note that a Resubmittal Fee (1/2 of original fee) will be charged for all applications after the 3rd review. Resubmittal fees for the combined Site Plan/Subdivision/CD application will be charged after the 4th review.
- Administrative Amendment (PDF)
- Administrative Appeal (PDF)
- Annexation Application PDF
- Cell Tower Application (New or Modifications) (PDF)
- Conditional Zoning with Master Plan (PDF)
- Downtown Facade Improvement Grant (PDF)
- Neighborhood Meeting Information (PDF)
- Owner's Consent Form (PDF)
- Rezoning (PDF)
- Road Name Approval (PDF)
- Signs - Alternative Sign Plan Application (PDF)
- Signs - Permanent Sign Permit (PDF)
- Site Plan Application (PDF)
- Site_Subdivision_Construction Drawing Application PDF
- Small Cell Application (PDF)
- Special Use Permit (PDF)
- Street Name Change Petition Application (PDF)
- Subdivision - Final Plat, Minor Subdivision Plat (PDF)
- Subdivision - Major Subdivision (Preliminary Subdivision) (PDF)
- Subdivision - Master Plan Phase Minor (PDF)
- Subdivision - Recombination Plat or Exempt Plat (PDF)
- Temporary Sign Permit (PDF)
- Tree Clearing Certificate (PDF)
- Variance (PDF)
- Virtual Meeting Information (COVID-19 Policy) (PDF)
- Wastewater Allocation Policy and Request Form (PDF)
- Zoning Compliance Permit-PDF
- Zoning Verification Letter Request (PDF)