Ice and snow storms lead to a build-up of ice on power lines and trees. The weight of that ice can cause limbs or even entire trees to fall onto power lines, causing outages.
If your power goes out temporarily, give it a few minutes to see if it comes back on. If it is a prolonged outage, please report the outage to the Town of Clayton by calling 919-553-1530.
Being prepared and planning ahead are critically important in remaining safe during storms. NC Public Power communities have several tips to help:
How to Prepare
- Stock up on non-perishable food, medicine, baby supplies and pet food.
- Purchase bottled water: 1 gallon of water per person per day.
- Gather emergency supplies, such as flashlights, battery-operated radios, extension cords and emergency generators, and purchase extra batteries.
- Monitor official weather bulletins.
- Keep extra cash on hand.
- If a family member uses life-sustaining medical equipment, develop an emergency plan for generating power or plan to relocate.